Thursday, October 25, 2007

What a leader should have to be effective


From the seminars I attended, researches I made, and discussions I encountered about LEADERSHIP, I combined the important things a leader should have to be effective.

To aid our memory for us not to forget these inputs, I set up an acronym LEADERSHIP.

I classified the word LEADERSHIP into two - LEADER and SHIP. The first, which is LEADER that emphasizes a clear indication of identity, deals with what a leader should have in himself. The second, which is SHIP that depicts a vessel for us to ride on, deals on what a leader should have in dealing with others.

In the first part, let me begin with this question: What should I strive to have always personally to be effective in applying leadership in reality? Psychologically, it is more on relationship with own self. Here are the following points:

L - Loyalty to the Institutional Mission-Vision

E - Enthusiasm to give Service

A - Acceptance of Position and Responsibilities

D - Determination to accomplish Works and Tasks

E - Emotional Stability

R - Respect of Rights

In the second part, it is nice to have this question in mind: What should I have to equip myself in dealing with others in exercising my leadership? It is practically more on relationship with others. Here are the important points to consider:

S - Social Awareness

H - Humility in Approaches

I - Impartiality in Dealings

P - Progressive-mindedness

With these basic ideas on leadership, I do hope to see the leaders of today working hard in the spirit of goodness with an impact of effectiveness especially in achieving institutional and personal goals. I made the ideas easy to recall so that we can concentrate in applying these to each of ourselves as our memory would always remind us.

Easier said than done is the challenge we can reflect in reality but a focus on development for a better change would be our chance to really apply good points into practicality of actions.

Good luck, leaders!




No comments: